Sunday, July 13, 2008

Andrea's Wedding

I have been talking to my parents about all of the wedding preparations and I'm starting to get really sad that I'm not going to be at Andrea and Dan's wedding :( She is my only sister and I hate that I can't make it. I just checked travelocity.com and it would cost me $3950 to fly down with the kids!! Yikes! Driving of course was out of the question. It would take me a week (or probably more with all of the bathroom breaks) and who knows how much that would cost in gas, hotels, and food! I have to say that is probably the biggest drawback to living in Alaska. We are so far from everything. That of course is also one of the reasons that people like living here - being far from the rest of the world. It is a drawback and an advantage both at the same time. I don't have any plans to make a trip to Washington until we move there after our tour in Alaska. Andy insists that he's going to retire when he gets back from Iraq (although I don't completely believe him yet). He has 20 years in now and it would be nice to finally settle down. Until then, we will be all alone up here at the top of the world :)

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I wish you could make it here too Jen, but I understand the cost and headache factor of traveling with 5 kids. Dan and I will miss you tons, but like I said before we will have to come up and see you maybe next summer. I have never been to Alaska. Love you and miss you,

Annie

Family G said...

Jen,
I know just how you feel. We're in a beautiful place here and we love it. But still, my family and I are an ocean apart and Rob's family is a 24 hour drive away. Big hugs to you, I know how difficult this time must be for you. I hope you have wonderful friends in Alaska who are there for you at all times. Retirement is finally less than a year away for us and I'm so happy and worried about it at the same time. But it's really time to settle down and have a "normal" life (I'm sure, we'll miss some of the Army life sometimes).
Birgit