We are now studying the Civil War in our homeschool. I am of course looking at it from a genealogical point of view - because I can't help myself :) We have lots of ancestors who fought on both sides of the war. I have pension packets full of medical examinations, letters, etc. on so many of our ancestors that I'm hoping to use in our studies to make things more "real". It has really made me think about what a hard time that must have been to live through. Here are some of our ancestors:
My ancestors:
Hugh Robertson (my great-great-great grandfather's brother). Union. He was killed in action at Jackson, Mississippi in 1863.
Adam Potter Cavit (my great-great-great grandmother's brother). Union.
George Turner Cavit (her other brother) Union. Died of pneumonia in Louisiana in 1863.
John Henry Becker (my great-great-great grandfather). Union. He fought from Missouri.
John Edwards (my great-great-great grandfather) Union. He was born in Canada fought from Michigan.
Austin Agee (my great-great-great grandfather) Confederacy. He was from Virginia.
Samuel Edward Lee (my great-great-great grandfather) Confederacy. He also fought from VA. He was wounded in TN in the arm and couldn't use it much for the rest of his life.
Jacob Frederick Sanchez-Tereso (my great-great grandfather). He fought for the Union from IA.
Andy's ancestors:
Ward Pierce (Andy's great-great grandfather) Union. from NJ. He was wounded by a shell in the thigh at Cold Harbor.
Hedger Pierce (Andy's great-great-great grandfather) Union from NJ.
Peter Henry Weeks (Andy's great-great grandfather) Union fought from MO.
James Baker (Andy's graet-great-great grandfather). He fought for the Union from PA) He suffered from consumption (tuberculosis) until his death.







3 comments:
First, it's called the War of Northern Aggression. Second, I can't believe we're friends with all that damn Yankee blood in the Woods' Family.
Take Care
Eddie, Dawn, and the Kids
So, I take it you are full of "Rebel" blood? I guessed as much :)
WOW! If the children read through some of the stories of their ancestors, and look at pictures of the men and women, it will be much more real to them than children reading history in a class.
Also, Peter H. went in from Indiana because he was married and they were living in Indiana.I believe Missouri as a whole was Confederate. Though some towns and people were not sympathetic to Confederate views. Also, at one time, Grandma Weeks had some proofs of Peter's brothers held at Anderson Prison. Nothing remains of the proof now. So those stories pass down from 1 generation to another. I hope the children can see the museum at Sharpsburg, Maryland some day. There are some excellent re-inactment films shown and the farms are still there with the same furnishings and barns have some of the old wagons and carriages, etc. There are concrete walks around some of the museum. Monuments are places with names of all the men who fought and died during the days. A very, very thoughtful place to visit. Grandma W.
Post a Comment